Last Updated on December 20, 2022
Humans have different conceptions about death.
Most people view death as the tragic end of life. Others consider it as the beginning of a new life. To some, death is but a stepping stone from one life form to another.
But no matter what you conceive death to be, one thing’s for sure; the loss of a loved one is truly a heartbreaking experience.
When we lose someone dear to us, we’re often so overcome with grief that we fail to find the right words to bid them farewell. We may console ourselves that the departed are in a peaceful place watching over us. However, it’s difficult to completely shake off the thought that we’ll never see each other in this life again. In most cases, the best we can do is to cling on the fond memories we shared together and hope that someone as good as them can come into our life someday.
But as we mourn the loss of a cherished family or friend, it’s imperative that we sincerely express our feelings for the loss. And that’s where rest in peace (RIP) quotes come in.
We’ve rounded up 60 most uplifting RIP quotes to help you celebrate the life of the deceased as you also comfort the bereaved.
Short RIP Messages
1. Gone out of our lives but never out of our hearts. RIP (ENTER NAME).
2. Gone too soon!
3. Gone, but never forgotten. Rest in peace (ENTER NAME).
4. May the heavenly hosts protect you/him/her/them till we meet again.
5. May you/he/she/they rest easy on the wings of eternity.
6. May your/his/her/their soul find rest.
7. Rest easy in sleep eternal.
8. Rest in eternal light.
9. Rest in God/Christ’s love.
10. Rest in heaven’s bosom/glory.
11. Rest in power.
12. Rest with angels.
13. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. Rest in peace
14. You/He/She/They will be missed.
RIP Messages for the Deceased
15. A man may die but his legacy will continue through his deeds. Today the pain of losing you is difficult to bear because this world needed you for some more years.
16. As you close your eyes in rest may all your pain and troubles be lost forever. May you find paradise and a world of eternal beauty. Your lost will forever be felt. Adieu
17. Even if I forget everything else, I will always remember you. You were the best. You were true to me. Rest in peace!
18. Even in death you are still loved and forever will be. You have touched the hearts of so many who owe you a lifetime of gratitude. We are not saying goodbye forever but goodbye for now. I pray you find peace and rest wherever you are.
19. Everyone has to go one day or another. But some departures are too much to bear. This world deserved people like you but I guess heaven deserved you more!
20. Goodbye for now dearest, I believe more than ever that someday I will see you again and never let you go. Sleep well and sweet dreams.
21. I keep wishing this is a dream and I’ll open my eyes and see you walk through the door. Wherever you are may you find peace and all your pains gone forever, and I hope that someday we meet again and I get a chance to tell you how grateful I am to have shared a lifetime with an angel.
22. Life can be so illogical at times. Today I am crying for the person who taught me how to laugh. You meant everything to me. Rest in peace, my dear!
23. My heart hurts every time I think about you, but knowing you are in a better place brings me comfort to live on. RIP (ENTER NAM)
24. Sleep well best friend. Words cannot explain the vacuum you’ve left. I’ll continue rekindling our memories together.
25. Some have life but are not truly living, but you seized every opportunity to live your life to the fullest. Even in death you still inspire us to take each moment and make the most of it. Rest now and sleep in peace.
26. Very few people can fit into your shoes. You were a blessing to many people. Rest in peace!
27. We are never ready to say goodbye forever even though we know it is a part of life. This day our hearts are heavy for losing someone so special, but as we mourn your death, we also celebrate your life. Rest in peace.
28. We have always been together in good times and bad times. Today you may be leaving this earth without me, but someday I will meet you there. May God rewards you with a peaceful afterlife!
29. We will never say goodbye to each other, we were meant to be friends forever. You will always be in my heart. Rest in peace!
30. You are irreplaceable and treasured in our hearts forever. To say we will miss you does no justice for what we feel, no amount of tears can express the pain we feel in losing you but then again thank you for the honor of sharing a lifetime with you. Rest in peace.
31. You have accomplished many good things in life. You worked hard and always followed the path of honesty. You sleep well, my friend. God has a beautiful reward for you!
32. You have given me so many wonderful memories, I won’t ever forget those, and I won’t ever forget you.
33. You lived your life as a living embodiment of love. You changed our lives. If only we had more time to give back some of the love you selflessly shared. Rest in peace.
34. You may be gone for now but you live forever in our memories and in our hearts, because you have given us a lifetime of memories filled with laughter, joy and happiness. Thank you so much for who you were, we love you and we wish you a peaceful sleep.
RIP Messages for the Bereaved
35. Death is inevitable. One can rest in peace when they are considered they did their best to make a difference. I believe he/she did his best. May he/she rest in peace.
36. Death may have robbed us of our best, but it has not extinguished the light. The fire will continue burning forever.
37. May the tender memories of him/her soften your grief.
38. Our hearts go out to you and your family. Death is a part of life that we dread but can’t avoid. In this time of grief we hope you find comfort.
39. Our life will end at one time, but it will end when our time comes. RIP (ENTER NAME).
40. Words cannot describe how sorry I am for your loss. Receive my condolences. You are in my thoughts and prayers. RIP to him/her.
Sad RIP Quotes
41. Across the years I will walk with you, in deep green forests, on shores of sand and when our time on earth is through, in heaven too, you will have my hand! ~ Robert Sexton
42. All say, ‘how hard it is that we have to die’—a strange complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live ~ Mark Twain
43. Cowards die many times before their deaths; the valiant never tastes of death but once ~ William Shakespeare
44. Darkness may hide the trees and the flowers from the eyes but it cannot hide love from the soul ~ Rumi
45. Death is beautiful, part of life…No, it is sad. It’s sad when anyone dies. Even though every single human dies. So it’s really not that sad ~ Harris Wittels
46. Death is just another stage of life, although the one you kind of hope comes last ~ Robert Breault
47. Death is not extinguishing the light; it is only putting out the lamp because the dawn has come ~ Rabindranath Tagore
48. Death is only passing through God’s other door ~ Edgar Cayce
49. Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened ~ Dr. Seuss
50. I know for certain that we never lose the people we love, even to death. They continue to participate in every act, thought and decision we make. Their love leaves an indelible imprint in our memories. We find comfort in knowing that our lives have been enriched by having shared their love ~ Leo Buscaglia
51. If the dead can’t rest in peace, how on earth can the living? ~ Cheri Revai
52. Life is pleasant, death is peaceful. It’s the transition that’s troublesome ~ Isaac Ashimov
53. Life is stressful dear. That’s why they say rest in peace ~ David Mazzucchelli
54. Tears are sometimes an inappropriate response to death. When a life has been lived completely honestly, completely successfully, or just completely, the correct response to death’s perfect punctuation mark is a smile ~ Julie Burchill
55. The remembrance of the good done by those we have loved is the only consolation when we have lost them ~ Demoustier
56. We say that the hour of death cannot be forecast, but when we say this we imagine that hour as placed in an obscure and distant future. It never occurs to us that it has any connection with the day already begun or that death could arrive this same afternoon, this afternoon which is so certain and which has every hour filled in advance ~ Marcel Proust
57. What is lovely never dies, but passes into other loveliness ~ Thomas Bailey Aldrich
58. What we have once enjoyed we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes a part of us ~ Helen Keller
59. Wishing the dead, ‘rest in peace’ is meaningless – it’s something they already have. Resting peacefully is an exclusive desire of the living or do you wish to be disturbed when at rest? Rest peacefully and rest in peace are one and the same thing. The difference is only in our perception ~ Vincent Okay Nwachukwu
60. You embrace death because life doesn’t exist without it ~ Dominic Riccitello
RIP quotes and messages may never bring a deceased person back to life. But they can go a long way in making the grief bearable.
We hope you could find a perfect RIP quote from the above collection to express your feelings about the loss of a loved one.