The Notebook is a 2004 American romantic drama film starring Ryan Gosling, Rachel McAdams, James Garner, Gena Rowlands, and James Marsden. The film was directed by Nick Cassavetes and produced by Mark Johnson and Lynn Harris, with screenwriting credits going to Jeremy Leven and Jan Sardi. It’s based on Nicholas Sparks’ 1996 novel of the same name.
The Notebook follows a scintillating love story between mill worker Noah Calhoun (Ryan Gosling) and rich girl Allie Hamilton (Rachel McAdams). Noah and Allie’s romance begins in the 1940s in South Carolina. The two are so romantically involved and their love story should unfold like a script straight out of a fantasy tale.
But there’s one teeny-tiny problem. A big problem actually. Allie’s parents don’t approve of the relationship. That’s to be expected in any society where class differences play out in nearly every crucial life decision. Being the rich family that they are, the Hamilton’s are not about to give their daughter away to a loser – that should be the appropriate expression for an average mill worker, right?
Fortunately, the love that Noah shares with Allie is blind enough not to see the class differences between them. But just when everything seems to be working in favor of the two love birds, a sudden twist of events threatens their union. Noah goes off to serve in the Second World War.
While Noah serves in the war, Allie becomes romantically involved with another man, Lon Hammond (James Marsden). Allie’s whirlwind romance with Lon isn’t born of genuine affection though. It appears to be a rebound relationship after Noah’s departure hit her hard.
Noah returns several years later as a relatively old man (played by James Garner) and coincidentally on the cusp of Allie’s marriage to Lon. As soon as the two former love birds set their eyes on each other, it becomes apparent that their romance never ended.
The Notebook received mixed critical reviews. The film was an astounding success nonetheless. It grossed over $117 million at the box office from a $29 million budget. It also won several prestigious awards, including 8 Teen Choice Awards and 1 MTV Movie Award.
One of the reasons behind The Notebook’s success is that the film treated its viewers to scores of love quotes. And in this post, we unveil the most romantic quotes from one of the greatest romantic films ever made.
The collection includes long quotes for love birds looking to dedicate a full paragraph of sweet nothings to their significant others. You’ll also find short quotes for when you need to keep your romantic messages short but impactful. Plus, there are one-liners to use when still hitting out on your potential love interest.
Another excellent thing about The Notebook quotes is their diversity and applicability in nearly every situation. These romantic messages can be used by both guys and girls, new partners and older lovebirds, etc.
Browse through the below collection of The Notebook quotes and hopefully, you’ll find a quote with which to blow your partner off their feet on your next date.
- “Read this to me, and I’ll come back to you.” — Allie
- “The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more, that plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds. And that’s what you’ve given me. That’s what I’d hoped to give you forever.” — Noah
- “Her name is Allie Hamilton. She’s here for the summer with her family. Dad’s got more money than God.” — Fin
- “We fell in love, despite our differences, and once we did, something rare and beautiful was created.” — Allie
- “You are the answer to every prayer I’ve offered. You are a song, a dream, a whisper, and I don’t know how I could have lived without you for as long as I have.” — Noah
- “In every boy I met in the next few years, I found myself looking for you, and when the feelings got too strong, I’d write you another letter. But I never sent them for fear of what I might find.” — Allie
- “I’m not afraid to hurt your feelings. You have like a two-second rebound rate.” — Noah
- “So it’s not gonna be easy. It’s going to be really hard; we’re gonna have to work at this every day, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, forever, every day.” — Noah
- “It was real, wasn’t it? You and me. Such a long time ago, we were just a couple of kids. But we really loved each other, didn’t we?” — Allie
- “The reason it hurts so much to separate is because our souls are connected.” — Noah
- “She had come back into his life like a sudden flame; blazing and streaming into his heart. Noah stayed up all night contemplating the certain agony he knew would be his if he were to lose her twice.” — Duke
- “I lost you once, I think I can do it again. If I thought that’s what you really wanted. But don’t take the easy way out.” — Noah
- “That’s my sweetheart in there. Wherever she is, that’s where my home is.” — Duke
- “You’d gone on with your life and I didn’t want to think about you loving someone else. I wanted to remember us like we were that summer. I didn’t ever want to lose that.” — Allie
- “She made me who I am and holding her in my arms was more natural to me than my own heartbeat.” — Noah
- “If you’re a bird, I’m a bird.” — Noah
- “But despite their differences, they had one important thing in common… they were crazy about each other.” — Duke
- “It was an improbable romance. He was a country boy. She was from the city.” — Duke
- “They’re shooting stars, a spectacular moment of light in the heavens, fleeting glimpse of eternity, and in a flash, they’re gone.” — Noah
- “This is just a fight we’re having and tomorrow it will be like it never happened, right?” — Allie
- “I lost you once, I think I can do it again. If I thought that’s what you really wanted. But don’t you take the easy way out.” — Noah
- “I am nothing special. But in one respect I have succeeded as gloriously as anyone who’s ever lived: I’ve loved another with all my heart and soul; and to me, this has always been enough.” — Duke
- “I didn’t spend 17 years raisin’ a daughter and givin’ her everything so she could throw it away on a summer romance!” — Anne Hamilton
- “We sit silently and watch the world around us. This has taken a lifetime to learn.” — Noah
- “I think our love can do anything we want it to.” — Duke
- “No matter what happens to us, every day spent with you is the best day of my life.” — Noah
- “My daddy said that the first time you fall in love, it changes you forever and no matter how hard you try, that feeling just never goes away.” — Allie
- Duke: “I keep trying to die, but they won’t let me.”
Harry: “Well, you can’t have everything.”
- “It’s not about keepin’ your promises, and it’s not about followin’ your heart. It’s about security.” — Noah
- “Summer romances begin for all kinds of reasons.” — Duke
- “I couldn’t sleep last night because I know that it’s over between us. I’m not bitter anymore, because I know that what we had was real.” — Noah
- “Because I might know you a little better than you think. And I don’t want you wakin’ up one mornin’ thinkin’ if you’d known everything you might have done somethin’ different.” — Anne Hamilton
- “I wrote 365 letters. I wrote you every day for a year.” — Noah
- “Will you do something for me, please? Just picture your life for me? Thirty years from now, 40 years from now? What’s it look like? If it’s with him, go. Go!” — Noah
- “You are every reason, every hope, and every dream I’ve ever had, and no matter what happens to us in the future, every day we are together is the greatest day of my life.” — Noah
- “I could be whatever you want. You just tell me what you want, and I’m gonna be that for you.” — Noah
- “Will you stop thinking about what everyone wants?! Stop thinking about what I want, what he wants, what your parents want. What do you want? What do you want?” — Noah
- “I am nothing special, of this I am sure. I am a common man with common thoughts and I’ve led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I’ve loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough.” — Noah
- “Southern summers are indifferent to the trials of young love. Armed with warnings and doubts, Noah and Allie gave a remarkably convincing portrayal of a boy and a girl traveling down a very long road with no regard for the consequences.” — Duke
- “People often describe love as an emotion that we can’t control, one that overwhelms logic and common sense. That’s what it was like for me.” — Duke
- “I could be fun if you want. I could be pensive, uh… smart, superstitious. Brave? And I, uh, I can be light on my feet. I could be whatever you want. You just tell me what you want, and I’m gonna be that for you.” — Noah
- “What easy way?! There is no easy way. No matter what I do, somebody gets hurt!” — Allie
- “I love you. I am who I am because of you.” — Noah
- “I’m gonna ask you one more time: Will you or will you not go out with me? I think my hand’s slipping.” — Noah
- “A person can get used to anything if given enough time.” — Duke
- “You know I want to give you all the things you want. But I can’t. Because they’re gone. They’re broken.” — Noah
- “You are my best friend as well as my lover, and I do not know which side of you I enjoy the most. I treasure each side, just as I have treasured our life together.” — Noah
- “In time, the hurt began to fade and it was easier to just let it go.” — Allie
- “If in some distant place in the future we see each other in our new lives, I’ll smile at you with joy and remember how we spent a summer beneath the trees learning from each other and growing in love.” — Noah
- “Do you think our love can take us away together?” — Allie