Last Updated on May 17, 2022
Who says old poets won’t sell as much nowadays?
While Persian poet and mystic Rumi’s works may be hundreds of years old, he’s still considered as one of the United States’ bestsellers. His moving and eye-opening themes have stood the test of time and continue to inspire people all over the world.
Who is Rumi?
Born in the town of Balkh in 1207, Rumi grew practicing and interpreting the Koran. This would prove to be one of his major motivations later in life. He travelled to Damascus and Aleppo to continue his study of Islamic scripture, then residing on what is now Turkey.
He met his mentor, and soon after, source of inspiration Shams Tabris is 1244. That friendship lasted for only four years due to insistent resistance met from Rumi’s disciples, and even one of the latter’s sons. Rumi’s loss of his friend led to the creation of more than 40,000 lyric verses.
This resulted in Divan-e Shams-e Tabrizi (The Works of Shams Tabris), which is considered one of the greatest works of Persian Literature. His other great work is the Masnavi, commonly known as ‘The Quran in Persian’.
His works on love and spirituality has transcended into various types of content today. His legacy has been translated and read by several countries across the globe.
Timeless Rumi Quotes
Thanks to modern translations, Rumi’s inspiring poems and verses have reached millions of households. His uplifting words are a relief, especially on days when you feel confused, challenged, or drained.
Whether you’re familiar with him or not, these fantastic Rumi quotes should help you get back up on your feet.
- Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.
- Stop acting so small. You are the universe in ecstatic motion.
- What you seek is seeking you.
- Don’t grieve. Anything you lose comes round in another form.
- Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.
- You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life?
- Don’t be satisfied with stories, how things have gone with others. Unfold your own myth.
- Everything that is made beautiful and fair and lovely is made for the eye of one who sees.
- Why should I be unhappy? Every parcel of my being is in full bloom.
- Raise your words, not voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
- Ignore those that make you fearful and sad, that degrade you back towards disease and death.
- There is a candle in your heart, ready to be kindled.
There is a void in your soul, ready to be filled.
You feel it, don’t you?
- Words are a pretext. It is the inner bond that draws one person to another, not words.
- Goodbyes are only for those who love with their eyes. Because for those who love with heart and soul there is no such thing as separation.
- Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames.
- I know you’re tired but come, this is the way.
- This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet.
- The wound is the place where the light enters you.
- And so it is, that both the devil and the angelic spirits present us with objects of desire to awaken our power of choice.
- Wherever you are, and whatever you do, be in love.
- Start a huge, foolish project, like Noah…it makes absolutely no difference what people think of you.
- Reason is powerless in the expression of love.
- You have to keep breaking your heart until it opens.
- These pains you feel are messengers. Listen to them.
- Let the lover be disgraceful, crazy, absentminded. Someone sober will worry about things going badly. Let the lover be.
- Your heart is the size of an ocean. Go find yourself in its hidden depths.
- I want to sing like the birds sing, not worrying about who hears or what they think.
- Take someone who doesn’t keep score, who’s not looking to be richer, or afraid of losing, who has not the slightest interest even in his own personality: he’s free.
- When the world pushes you to your knees, you’re in the perfect position to pray.
- Live life as if everything is rigged in your favor.
- I am not this hair, I am not this skin, I am the soul that lives within.
- Be full of sorrow, that you may become hill of joy; weep, that you may break into laughter.
- Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment. Cleverness is mere opinion. Bewilderment brings intuitive knowledge.
- Be empty of worrying. Think of who created thought.
- Let yourself be silently drawn by the strange pull of what you really love. It will not lead you astray.
- The lion is most handsome when looking for food.
- The very center of your heart is where life begins – the most beautiful place on earth.
- Don’t you know yet? It is your light that lights the worlds.
- Love is the bridge between you and everything.
- Seek the wisdom that will untie your knot. Seek the path that demands your whole being.
- To praise the sun is to praise your own eyes.
- Dance until you shatter yourself.
- It’s your road, and yours alone, others may walk it with you, but no one can walk it for you.
- Why do you stay in prison when the door is so wide open.
- As you start to walk on the way, the way appears.
- Very little grows on jagged rock. Be ground. Be crumbled, so wild flowers will come up where you are.
- What hurts you, blesses you. Darkness is your candle.
- The only lasting beauty is the beauty of the heart.
- The universe is not outside of you. Look inside yourself; everything that you want, you already are.
- Close your eyes, fall in love, stay there.
- If light is in your heart, you will find your way home.
- Achieve some perfection yourself, so that you may not fall into sorrow by seeing the perfection in others.
- This is a subtle truth. Whatever you love you are.
- Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.
- What is planted in each person’s soul will sprout.
- In each moment the fire rages, it will burn away a hundred veils. And carry you a thousand steps toward your goal.