Last Updated on December 19, 2022
We’ve all been there – you wake up one morning and wish the alarm clock went off an hour or two later. Some days, you find yourself inexplicably averse to the idea of hanging out with your dear ones, and prefer to keep your own company instead. Or, you’re simply no longer enthusiastic about life’s pleasures in general. These are all tell-tale signs of feeling lost.
The phrase ‘feeling lost’ may have different connotations depending on its applicable context. However, it generally refers to losing the purpose in your life.
People who feel lost no longer have a valid reason for living. Nothing excites them anymore. They may attend to their basic needs, such as eating and working. But they’ve usually lost their inner drive to enjoy life’s pleasures or strive for higher achievements.
The one thing that worsens the feelings of having lost one’s purpose in life is that most victims don’t ever realize they’re lost. That’s despite the signs being out there in the full glare.
Even worse, those with some idea that they’re lost tend to ignore the signs. Instead, they may choose to distract themselves from the truth, hoping that their situation will somewhat magic themselves away.
Now, it’s perfectly normal to feel lost in this life once in a while. After all, we were all born lost and the vast majority of us spend their entire lifetime searching for the meaning of life. That said, the feelings of being lost can take a heavy toll on your mental health. These feelings can trigger anxiety and depression if they go unaddressed on a long enough timeline.
Fortunately, there are numerous ways to unstuck yourself from the self-limiting prison of feeling lost. One such method is by taking inspiration from certain motivational quotes and sayings about losing the purpose in life.
Quotes about feeling lost will help accept one fundamental fact – that it’s perfectly okay to feel lost and no matter how long the situation may last, it’s all but for a spell. Accepting that you’re lost is the first step in coping with the feeling.
Feeling lost quotes may also help you uncover exactly why you’re lost. You’ll be able to reflect upon your life and figure out where the rain started beating you. Perhaps you’ve grown weary of your uninspiring job or no longer wants to keep your circle of friends.
Or maybe you simply want to rewrite your life’s goals and need some time to settle with your past. By chanting these quotes, you’ll realize that all you require is a temporary break so you can seize control of your life once again.
Most importantly, feeling lost quotes can help you focus on your strengths and not your weaknesses. Oftentimes when we feel lost, we allow negative thoughts to take charge. We tend to focus on our inadequacies and shortcomings.
And in so doing, we miss the golden opportunity to put our best foot forward. But as you shall find, sometimes all you need to emancipate yourself from the feelings of a purposeless life is refusing to let negative thoughts have dominion over you.
Feeling Lost Quotes
Below are 100 best feeling lost quotes to help you rediscover your life’s purpose.
- “God gave us memory so that we might have roses in December.” -J.M. Barrie
- “If you don’t stand for something, you will stand for anything.” -Gordon Eadie
- “The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today.” -Franklin D. Roosevelt
- Life is way too short to spend another day at war with yourself.
- “Life is what you make it. No matter what, you’re going to mess up sometimes. It’s a universal truth. But the good part is you get to decide how you’re going to mess up.” -Marilyn Monroe
- Failure builds character.
- “You must do the things you think you cannot do.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
- “The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing.” -Walt Disney
- “If you are working on something you don’t really care about, you don’t have to be pushed. The vision pulls you.” -Steve Jobs
- “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein
- “Most humans are never fully present in the now, because unconsciously they believe that the next moment must be more important than this one. But then you miss your whole life, which is never not now.” -Eckhart Tolle
- “Happiness is the highest form of health.” -Dalai Lama
- “It will never be perfect. Make it work.” -Life
- “Reading is to the mind, as exercise is to the body.” -Brian Tracy
- “The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.” -Winston Churchill
- “Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.” -Og Mandino
- Before Alice got to Wonderland, she had to fall.
- “The first six months of getting sober consisted of nothing but accumulative isolation. My phone stopped ringing the minute word got out that I had put the bottle down. And that was pretty painful. I wasn’t hurt by the fact that my “friends” weren’t including me on the action, but it was reality sinking in that I had no real friends that stung the most. I had social pals, relationships based on nothing more than partying. I guess you could say I made myself into a party favor.” -Kat Von D
- “I hated every minute of training, but I said, ‘Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.’” -Muhammad Ali
- “Do what you can with all you have, wherever you are.” -Theodore Roosevelt
- “Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.” -John Wooden
- “Some friends don’t understand this. They don’t understand how desperate I am to have someone say, I love you and I support you just the way you are because you’re wonderful just the way you are. They don’t understand that I can’t remember anyone ever saying that to me.” -Elizabeth Wurtzel
- “You don’t have to live a lie. Living a lie will mess you up. It will send you into depression. It will warp your values.” -Gilbert Baker
- “We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” -Joseph Campbell
- “If you don’t like the road you’re walking, pave another one.” -Dolly Parton
- “Go within every day and find the inner strength so that the world will not blow your candle out.” -Katherine Dunham
- “A tree that is unbending is usually broken.” -Loa Tzu
- You can regain control and happiness. You will.
- “Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.” -George Bernard Shaw
- If you want to conquer the anxiety of life, live in the moment.
- “Sorrow looks back. Worry looks around. Faith looks up.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “One swallow does not make a summer, neither does one fine day. Similarly, one day or brief time of happiness does not make a person entirely happy.” -Aristotle
- “If you hear a voice within you say ‘you cannot paint,’ then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.” -Vincent Van Gogh
- “Nothing is impossible. The word itself says: ‘I’m possible.’” -Audrey Hepburn
- “You got to go down a lot of wrong roads to find the right one.” -Bob Parson
- Sometimes, you have to stop thinking so much and just go where your heart takes you.
- “There are two ways to live your life. One is as if nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is a miracle.” -Albert Einstein
- Don’t underestimate the healing power of music, the ocean, and the stars.
- “You’ve always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself.” -The Wizard Of Oz
- “Self-pity is rooted in people taking themselves too seriously.” -Tom Robbins
- “When people don’t know exactly what depression is, they can be judgemental.” -Marion Cotillard
- “Anger, resentment, and jealousy doesn’t change the heart of others. It only changes yours.” -Shannon L. Alder
- “To be lost is as legitimate a part of your process as being found.” -Alex Ebert
- “We can easily forget a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.” -Plato
- “The time between 1998 and 2005 was especially bad. During that time I avoided looking in the mirror, because I didn’t like the person looking back at me. To be honest, there were times I thought I wouldn’t survive. I used to have a lot of problems. Amongst others, I drank too much. So I joined Alcoholics Anonymous to get and stay sober.” -Naomi Campbell
- “It went so dark inside of me. And it was dark outside, too, in those miserable after-Christmas months: cold and wet and icy. I felt like I was trapped in a snow globe.” -Cat Marnell
- “No man is free who cannot control himself.” -Pythagoras
- There is no angry way to say: “Bubbles.”
- Rome wasn’t built in a day. It’s also built on ruins.
- “Scar tissue is stronger than regular tissue. Realize the strength, move on.” -Henry Rollins
- “Children are happy because they don’t have a file in their minds called, ‘All The Things That Could Go Wrong.” -Marianne Williamson
- “Mental pain is less dramatic than physical pain, but it is more common and also more hard to bear. The frequent attempt to conceal mental pain is to increase the burden. It is easier to say, “My tooth is aching” than to say, “My heart is broken.” -C.S. Lewis
- “Every strike brings me closer to the next home run.” -Babe Ruth
- “Don’t let yesterday take up too much of today.” -Will Rogers
- “Whenever I’m confused about something, I ask God to reveal the answers to my questions, and he does.” -Beyonce Knowles
- “The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one.” -Elbert Hubbard
- If it comes, let it. If it goes, let it.
- “Do not brood over your past mistakes and failures as this will only fill your mind with grief, regret, and depression. Do not repeat them in the future.” -Swami Sivananda
- “The risk of a wrong decision is preferable to the terror of indecision.” -Maimonides
- “The fears we don’t face become our limits.” -Amy Elizabeth
- “Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning how to dance in the rain.” -Vivian Greene
- There are people who would love to have your bad days…
- “I still don’t know who the f*ck I am or what the f*ck I want, but I can wholeheartedly confess that I’m finally at peace with myself and truly starting to understand what true happiness is. I’m sorry if I let anyone down. It was just time for me to work on me.” -Kelly Osbourne
- “When you’re surrounded by all these people, it can be lonelier than when you’re by yourself. You can be in a huge crowd, but if you don’t feel like you can trust anyone or talk to anybody, you feel like you’re really alone.” -Fiona Apple
- Sometimes the bad things that happen in our lives put us directly on the path to the best things that will ever happen to us.
- “If you can’t handle me at my worst, you sure as hell don’t deserve me at my best.” -Marilyn Monroe
- “Negativity is caused by an accumulation of psychological time and denial of the present. Unease, anxiety, tension, stress, worry — all forms of fear — are caused by too much future and not enough presence. Guilt, regret, resentment, grievances, sadness, bitterness, and all forms of nonforgiveness are caused by too much past, and not enough presence.” -Eckhart Tolle
- You learn more from failure than from success.
- “Maybe if we all looked up at the sky and said, ‘I love you’ every night, we’d learn what love without expectations feels like. Nobody owns the stars.” -Erin Van Vuren
- “Nothing is more beautiful than the smile that has struggled through the tears.” -Demi Lovato
- “Life is 10% what you experience and 90% how you respond to it.” -Dorothy M. Neddermeyer
- Talking about problems can turn into a great addiction. Break the habit and talk about your joys.
- “Everything you can imagine is real.” -Pablo Picasso
- “Leave your front door and your back door open. Allow your thoughts to come and go. Just don’t serve them tea.” -Shunryu Suzuki
- “Tough times never last, but tough people do.” -Robert H. Schuller
- To get lost is to learn the way.
- “You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” -C.S. Lewis
- “Embrace the glorious mess that you are.” -Elizabeth Gilbert
- “You really have to look inside yourself and find your own inner strength, and say: I’m proud of what I am and who I am.” -Mariah Carey
- “Never regret anything you have done with a sincere affection. Nothing is lost that is born of the heart.” -Basil Rathbone
- “We generate fears while we sit. We overcome them by action.” -Dr. Henry Link
- “After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb.” -Nelson Mandela
- Make a list of the things that make you happy, then make a list of the things you do on a daily basis. Compare the lists and adjust accordingly!
- “I think that the power is the principle. The principle of moving forward, as though you have the confidence to move forward, eventually gives you confidence when you look back and see what you’ve done.” -Robert Downey Jr.
- A bad attitude is like a flat tire. You can’t get far until you change it.
- “Entrepreneurs are great at dealing with uncertainty and also very good at minimizing risk. That’s the classic entrepreneur.” -Mohnish Pabrai
- “Depression is the most unpleasant thing I have ever experienced. It is that absence of being able to envisage that you will ever be cheerful again. The absence of hope. That very deadened feeling, which is so very different than feeling sad. Sad hurts, but it’s a healthy feeling. It is a necessary thing to feel. Depression is very different.” -J.K. Rowling
- If you don’t like where you are now, move. You are not a tree.
- “I’m just always trying to surround myself with better people and be the best version of myself possible. I know it sounds obnoxious to hear people say that, but why not?” -Lucy Hale
- “You only lose what you cling to.” -Buddha
- “If flowers can teach themselves how to bloom after winter passes, so can you.” -Noot Shirazie
- Give people high fives just for getting out of bed. Being a person is hard sometimes.
- “You have to be strong and calm to overcome difficult moments.” -Dani Alves
- “We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated.” -Maya Angelou
- “It is worth remembering that the time of greatest gain in terms of wisdom and inner strength is often that of greatest difficulty.” -Dalai Lama
- You can’t start the next chapter if you keep reading the last.
- “I feel like a defective model, like I came off the assembly line flat-out fucked and my parents should have taken me back for repairs before the warranty ran out.” -Elizabeth Wurtzel
- Remember: When you feel like you’re buried, you’ve actually been planted.
- “Be patient with all that is unresolved within your heart, and try to love the questions.” -Rainer Maria Wilke
- “I’m the one that’s got to die when it’s time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.” -Jimi Hendrix