Last Updated on December 20, 2022
Did someone just break your heart? Or perhaps you want to send a compassionate note to a friend who had just experienced a bad breakup. Either way, you want to express your feelings and might not have the words. No worries – we did the research and selected the best ones for you.
Quotes for Your Ex
Stay aware that your ex might not appreciate a constant barrage of messages. It’s okay to let them know that you are hurting but don’t cross over into stalker territory!
1. You flew off with the wings of my heart and left me flightless.
2. My feet will want to walk to where you are sleeping but I shall go on living.
3. You left, and the world didn’t crumble. I owe the universe a dollar.
4. I think about you. But I don’t say it anymore.
5. One day you’re going to remember me and how much I loved you… then you’re going to hate yourself for letting me go.
6. I gave you my heart, I just didn’t expect to get it back in pieces.
7. You weren’t just a star to me. You were my whole damn sky.
8. Loving you was like going to war; I never came back the same.
9. I will never love another. Not like I loved you. I just don’t have the love for it again.
10. I understand it, but I don’t like it. I wish we could all be together like before: best friends, not heartbroken strangers.
Quotes That Show Your Strength
Use these to show friends and family that you still believe in love, that despite the pain, you are now stronger and better than ever.
1. I’d rather love a million times and have my heart broken every time than hold a permanently empty heart forever.
2. For my part, I prefer my heart to be broken. It is so lovely, dawn-kaleidoscopic within the crack.
3. Perhaps someday I’ll crawl back home, beaten, defeated. But not as long as I can make stories out of my heartbreak, beauty out of sorrow.
4. The sorrow we feel when we lose a loved one is the price we pay to have had them in our lives.
5. I will never regret you or say I wish I’d never met you. Because once upon a time you were exactly what I needed.
6. Some of us think holding on makes us strong, but sometimes it is letting go.
7. Each night I put my head to my pillow I try to tell myself I’m strong because I’ve gone one more day without you.
8. I didn’t lose you. You lost me. You’ll search for me inside of everyone you’re with and I won’t be found.
9. You didn’t break my heart; you freed it.
10. A broken heart is just the growing pains necessary so that you can love more completely when the real thing comes along.
Struggling to Move on Quotes
1. The worst feeling in the world is when you can’t love anyone else because your heart still belongs to the one who broke it.
2. The pleasure of love lasts but a moment. The pain of love lasts a lifetime.
3. I don’t know why they call it heartbreak. It feels like every other part of my body is broken too.
4. My heart no longer felt as if it belonged to me. It now felt as it had been stolen, torn from my chest by someone who wanted no part of it.
5. What a painful thing to taste forever in the eyes of someone who doesn’t see the same.
6. A broken heart is the worst. It’s like having broken ribs. Nobody can see it, but it hurts every time you breathe.
7. If love is like driving a car, then I must be the worst driver in the world. I missed all the signs and ended up lost.
8. The whole world can become the enemy when you lose what you love.
9. Once you had put the pieces back together, even though you may look intact, you were never quite the same as you’d been before the fall.
10. The most painful goodbyes are the ones that are left unsaid and never explained.
Quotes for a Heartbroken Friend
Show solidarity with your friend or family member who lost a romantic connection by sending them a heartfelt note.
1. Love is the hardest drug to quit, but it is even harder when it is taken away.
2. Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option.
3. When you are in love, and you get hurt, it’s like a cut… it will heal, but there will always be a scar.
4. Love is never lost. If not reciprocated, it will flow back and soften and purify the heart.
5. Hearts can break. Yes, hearts can break. Sometimes I think it would be better if we died when they did, but we don’t.
6. Someday you’re gonna look back on this moment of your life as such a sweet time of grieving. You’ll see that you were in mourning and your heart was broken, but your life was changing.
7. Have you ever been in love? Horrible isn’t it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means that someone can get inside you and mess you up.
8. When someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure.
9. Being heartbroken doesn’t mean you stop feeling. Just the opposite — it means you feel it all more.
10. Nothing helps a broken heart like having someone wonderful give you theirs.
Tough Love Quotes
Do you feel that your friend is languishing too much after a breakup? Here are the best messages that encourage healing.
1. Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
2. You can close your eyes to things you don’t want to see, but you can’t close your heart to things you don’t want to feel.
3. No matter how hard your heart is broken, the world doesn’t stop for your grief.
4. The saddest thing about love is that not only that it cannot last forever, but that heartbreak is soon forgotten.
5. Love will come to you when it’s ready, Not necessarily when you are.
6. Forgive. Learn. Move on. Let your tears water the seeds of your future happiness.
7. When we are in love, we are convinced nobody else will do. But as time goes, others do do, and often do do, much much better.
8. Every time your heart is broken, a doorway cracks open to a world full of new beginnings, new opportunities.
9. Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.
10. When your heart is broken, your boats are burned: nothing matters anymore. It is the end of happiness and the beginning of peace.
1. The hottest love has the coldest end.
2. A wounded deer leaps highest.
3. It hurts like hell. And then one day, it doesn’t.
4. Courage is the power to let go of the familiar.
5. The shattering of a heart when being broken is the loudest quiet ever.
6. The heart was made to be broken.
7. Happiness is the china shop; love is the bull.
8. When your heart is broken, you plant seeds in the cracks and you pray for rain.
9. To fall in love is awfully simple, but to fall out of love is simply awful.
10. It is the heart that has been pierced that feels the most.
Q: Why does heartbreak hurt so much?
Researchers have found that the brain registers the emotional pain of heartache and grief as physical pain.
Q: How long does it take to get over a broken relationship?
Studies show that most people begin to move on after a few weeks but it depends on your personality and could be sooner or take a couple of months.
Q: What can heartbreak do to a person?
Heartache is not just emotional. You can also experience physical symptoms such as headaches, weight loss, loss of appetite, and depression.
Q: How do I deal with a breakup alone?
The best is to stay busy at work but also with hobbies that you love. Take care of yourself during this time, indulge in small delights and find ways to love yourself.